Saturday, January 28, 2023

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Hebrews 4

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Hebrews 4:15

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. I maintain my focus Hebrews 4:14-16, as I move on to what the commentary describes as the second division "Remembering Our Sinless High Priest," which looks at Hebrews 4:15. The commentary first explores the nature of temptation, and ultimately shares that scripture is calling us to fight and resist temptation that turns into sin - lustful thoughts, impatience, frustration, selfishness, greed, etc. We need to avoid "crossing that line" that "give[s] permission to [our] temptation to manifest itself into full blown sin."  Jesus is described as never crossing that line: "He was tempted in every respect that we have been tempted, but never once did he permit that temptation to become sin in his heart, in his thoughts, or in his actions. Thus, temptation that resists or rejects sin falls short of sin, while temptation that gives over to sin is sin."  The commentary wraps for this text by comparing Old Testament priests to Jesus and the role He plays as the Great High Priest: "Old Testament priests could only offer sacrifices that would delay God’s judgment against sin. Their sacrifices could only buy time. Jesus’s sacrifice, however, accomplished complete atonement for sin once and for all. This was only possible because he was without sin, totally unlike every other high priest and totally unlike every other human being." A Great High Priest indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, You are SO, SO good!  Your mercies are new every morning, and Your provide for all of my needs!  Thank You Jesus!  You also are a Great High Priest and My Lord and Savior - thank You Jesus - amazing grace!  Of course I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.