Friday, January 13, 2023

For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source.

Hebrews 2

 For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. Hebrews 2:10-11

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is an overview of the commentary for Hebrews 2:10-18, and a look at specifically at Hebrews 2:10-13, the first of three divisions from Hebrews 2:10-18 as outlined by the commentary. The overview indicates how Hebrews 2:10-18 "further explains what it means (from v9 - see post from a couple of days ago) for Christ to “taste death for everyone...” [and it addresses key questions such as]: Exactly how does Christ accomplish this feat? What are the results? How do God’s people benefit?"  In looking specifically at Hebrews 2:10-13, the commentary then stresses the following key points:

  • Christ came into the world to adopt us as sons and daughters to glory.  "These words provide a gospel summary that focuses on the relational and familial aspects of the gospel. The gospel transforms believers into children of God and siblings of the Lord Jesus. Our purpose is to bring the glory of God into greater visibility—to be the public display of the glory of God both now and for all eternity. Thus, we become “sons and daughters to glory” in order to magnify the glory of God for all to see." We exist to glorify God!
  •  The fittingness of God the Father's plan to send His Son to "redeem humanity through a perfect and suffering Savior. The justice of God demanded a substitutionary atonement for the forgiveness of sins....Because of Christ’s perfect obedience to the Father, Jesus has become the “source” of salvation.
  • The Old Testament citations in this text (Psalm 22:22 and Isaiah 8:17-18) referring to "brothers and sisters" are "rooted in the reality because believers are Christ’s “brothers and sisters,” we are also “children” of God." The commentary also argues that believers should see how "[t]he Law and the Prophets bear witness to Christ. He is their telos....[and] that the message of the Old Testament is fundamentally messianic. The Old Testament must be read in light of its fulfillment in Christ."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God, who died for me as a perfect, substitutionary atonement for my sins - thank You Jesus for bearing my punishment that I deserved.  I am not deserving of the grace You poured out for me and continue to pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.