Monday, January 9, 2023

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?

Hebrews 2

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? Hebrews 2:1-3a

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 2:1-3a, the first of three divisions in Hebrews 2:1-9, and this first division exhorts believers to - in light of how Jesus and His messages are more superior than angels (Hebrews 1) - heed the "warning signs of spiritual drift."  The commentary describes this drift as a nautical image whereby such drift is not one wave at a point in time but instead a slower, meandering process, where we fail to take Jesus' words to heart.  This of course happens both corporately (by churches that water down theology in an effort to gain believers) and individually by those who fail to drop "the anchor of our souls in the deep waters of the Word of God" and allowing for reading of God's Word supernaturally, and enabling spiritual hearing which the commentary defines as "believing, obeying, and submitting to what is heard. Right hearing is more a matter of the heart than a function of the ear. We must hear with our hearts."  The devotion ends with with both good and bad news. "The gospel is good news. The good news is only good, though, when it is accepted in place of the bad news. The bad news is we are truly deserving of hell for our transgression of God’s righteous requirement. The really bad news is we will be even more accountable to God if we reject Christ. The seriousness of the gospel cannot be overstated. The gospel is good news for those who repent of their sin and trust in Christ. It is terrible news for those who do not."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great, great God and Your Word is worthy of my close attention as it is Good News!  Thank You for sharing this Good News with me and saving me.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.