Sunday, January 15, 2023

For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

Hebrews 2

For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:16-18

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is a look specifically at Hebrews 2:16-18, the third of three divisions from Hebrews 2:10-18, and this division is entitled "Priesthood and Propitiation" by the commentary. The commentary starts by looking at a fundamental question - could God's justice for humanity's sin and believers salvation be secured without Jesus' incarnation and death on the cross?  The commentary points out how the language of the text is clear: "[t]his text indicates that the answer to that question is no. God only acts in the way that corresponds with his character and most displays his glory. Thus, in order to both satisfy his justice and display his mercy, God put Christ forward as a propitiatory sacrifice." The commentary then explores how Christ's incarnation also made Him a Great High Priest who perfectly intercedes for believers to God the Father on our behalf. It outlines theological terms expiation and propitiation, describing expiation as "washing away of sin" and propitiation as "satisfaction of God’s justice", and further elaborates on propitiation (referring to Romans 3:21-26) by saying: "[p]ropitiation enables God to be both just and justifier. Without the satisfaction of God’s righteousness in the punishment of sin, he could not justly declare sinners righteous. Thus, propitiation stands at the very heart of the gospel. The logic of propitiation makes the good news good. Without propitiation, there is no gospel." 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Thank you Jesus for both washing away my sins and for taking my place on the cross as the perfect sacrifice for not just my sin but the sin of all of humanity.  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.