Sunday, January 8, 2023

But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

 Hebrews 2

But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is initial observations of Hebrews 2:1-9, which contains three divisions. Hebrews 2:1-9 builds on Hebrews 1 by starting with a focus on who Jesus is and then turning to what Jesus has done - His actions and the implications).  Hebrews 2 looks at Jesus as the author of our salvation and how we should not neglect our salvation (see also Philippians 2:12 for text that exhorts believers to work out their own salvation), as we have no other means but through submission to Jesus to escape eternal damnation (v3).  The message of angels (i.e. Gabriel in Luke 1) was reliable as were the many prophecies of the Messiah declared by Isaiah and others (see .  Believers of today (beyond what was seen during Jesus' days - v4) can also testify of God's work in their own lives.  In v5-9, we, once again (see also Hebrews 1), read how God reigns over all of the universe and its inhabitants and how although we may not see (until we see Him face to face) all of His dominion and providence, we can be assured that He is in control.  Believers are reminded as well that Jesus became like us, so that through His own suffering, death, and resurrection, He could empathize with all that we experience, take our sins to the cross, and give us victory over sin and death.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are a great God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - unbelievably so!  You suffered and died for me, then rose from the grace and gave me victory over sin and death...thank You Jesus for my salvation!  I am not deserving...the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.