Tuesday, January 10, 2023

It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Hebrews 2

It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will. Hebrews 2:3b-4

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 2:3b-4, the second of three divisions in Hebrews 2:1-9, and the commentary builds on yesterday's warning to "spiritually hear" the messages of the gospel, and to "anchor" ourselves to the Word, lest we drift away towards eternal damnation. The commentary shares that if Jesus is more superior than angels, "[h]ow much more guilty, then, are those who reject the “great salvation” declared by the incarnate Lord himself? This new stage in redemptive history brings great privileges, but also great responsibilities."  The commentary then pivots to describe how Christ's message - the New Covenant brought about by His blood - is superior to angels' messages in four ways:

  • Spoken to us by the Lord - v3b
  • "Confirmed to us by those who heard [Him]" - v3b
  • God himself testified the veracity of gospel "by signs and wonders and various miracles" - v4
  • Through the showering and distribution spiritual gifts throughout the church - v4

On this last point, the commentary emphasizes that "the author of Hebrews helps us strip away our misconceptions about why spiritual gifts exist. Spiritual gifts are not an end to themselves to be used for our personal, private enjoyment. Spiritual gifts edify the church (see also 1 Corinthians 14:3-5; Ephesians 4:11-12) and testify that Jesus Christ is Lord."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are a great God who not only gave me ears to spiritually hear Your message, but You also gave me salvation and so much more - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.