Monday, September 5, 2016

Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain. v1

It is natural for people to have selfish desires.  While we were made in God's image, we are not Him and we easily fall prey to temptation.  It is only through God that we can defeat temptation and sin.  

Today's scripture is a reminder that it is a sin to build a life based on our own desires - for we are told to "[l]ove the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" (Matthew 22:37), and to "deny [our]selves and take up [our] cross daily and follow [Jesus]" (Luke 9:23).  

We must build our lives on Jesus - He is The Cornerstone

My Prayer: Lord, You are Lord of All, THE Cornerstone - without You my life would be based on nothing and it would fall apart.  Thank You Jesus for being a lamp unto my path and for keeping my feet on Your path.  I know that apart from You I can do no good thing.  I continue to create far too many of my own plans - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength. Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.