Saturday, September 17, 2016

Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell.

Psalm 137

Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell. v7

Revenge and justice belongs to the Lord.  We should give it up to Him and let Him handle it according to His ways - and He will ultimately in Revelation during the final days.  We should not take justice into our own hands.  Au contraire, we are to love and serve everyone, even those who oppress us.

Think of what Joseph did in captivity (Genesis 39-50), Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, (Daniel 3), or Daniel (Daniel 6) - they all served their earthly masters as if serving the Lord.

We also have Paul's writings:

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free. Ephesians 6:5-8

Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything you do. Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. Serve them sincerely because of your reverent fear of the Lord. Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. But if you do what is wrong, you will be paid back for the wrong you have done. For God has no favorites. Colossians 3:22-25

There are also words spoken from Jesus himself:

If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. Luke 6:29

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:43-48

...and the story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10).

My Prayer: Lord, You are an awesome God full of love and compassion for all of creation and all of Your children - regardless of what they do.  Your love is beyond what my words can describe.  I am deeply grateful for Your love.  Thank You Jesus.  I cannot do any good thing without You.  Please forgive me for my harshness with others.  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You instead.  Praise You for a good doctor's report for Lisa yesterday.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Continue to heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and the side effects from chemo. Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.