Thursday, June 28, 2018

“Remnant of Judah, the Lord has told you, ‘Do not go to Egypt.’ Be sure of this: I warn you today that you made a fatal mistake when you sent me to the Lord your God and said, ‘Pray to the Lord our God for us; tell us everything he says and we will do it.’ I have told you today, but you still have not obeyed the Lord your God in all he sent me to tell you. So now, be sure of this: You will die by the sword, famine and plague in the place where you want to go to settle.”

Jeremiah 43

“Remnant of Judah, the Lord has told you, ‘Do not go to Egypt.’ Be sure of this: I warn you today that you made a fatal mistake when you sent me to the Lord your God and said, ‘Pray to the Lord our God for us; tell us everything he says and we will do it.’ I have told you today, but you still have not obeyed the Lord your God in all he sent me to tell you. So now, be sure of this: You will die by the sword, famine and plague in the place where you want to go to settle.” v19-22

Just as Jeremiah prophesied, Babylonia sacked Jerusalem, took King Zedekiah captive (Jeremiah 39), left a remnant behind in Judah: "some of the poor people, who owned nothing; and at that time he gave them vineyards and fields" (Jeremiah 39:10).

In chapters 40-42, we see fear in the eyes of the remnant as Ishmael son of Nethaniah kills Gedaliah, the appointed governor over Judah.  Many begin to flee Judah to Egypt (Jeremiah 41) and in chapter 42 we see Jeremiah deliver a message from the Lord warning the remnant not to flee to Egypt.  This warning goes from verse 7-22.

In chapter 43 we see Azariah son of Hoshaiah and Johanan son of Kareah accuse Jeremiah of lying to them regarding the Lord's message (see v1-7) and in direct disobedience to God lead the remnant to Egypt.

The question in my mind is when fear strikes do we trust in the Lord or in man?  

For the leaders of the remnant here it seems a bit more clear cut in that Jeremiah was clear in his words from the Lord that going to Egypt was a bad idea - and Jeremiah has a track record of being on the up and up.   

For the rest of us, we must a reverent fear of God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who leads me when times are good and when times are bad - thank You for carrying me through valleys of darkness.  You are truly a great God.  Yet I am undeserving of such love.  I often fall down in my faith and trust in myself, others or in idols.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my faith.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Please help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept Jesus as their Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.