Monday, June 25, 2018

Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Jehonadab son of Rekab will never fail to have a descendant to serve me.

Jeremiah 35

Therefore this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Jehonadab son of Rekab will never fail to have a descendant to serve me. v19

Having no knowledge of the Rekabites, I did a bit of digging and found they appear elsewhere in the Bible (search Jehonadab, Rekab) and found this commentary on "Discerning Disobedience".  God tells Jeremiah to invite Rekabites to drink wine but does not command them to do so.  The Rekabites decline this invitation, citing law passed on from their descendants as their basis to decline (see v6-11).  The commentary claims that discerning disobedience is the proper response when a prophet commands someone to do something when such a command is not explicitly identified as a command coming directly from God. 

The Bible is full of commands (some references indicate 600 or more) and we know that without God it is impossible to live as God intends for us. That is why He had to send His Son and Jesus had to die on the cross for us. Jesus wants us to focus on at least two commands as all law and the prophets hang on these two commands (Matthew 22:34-40).  

John Piper has at least two posts (here and here) discusses the distinction between moral and ceremonial law in the Bible and the extent to which ceremonial law applies with the covenant believers make with Jesus Christ.

It is sometimes difficult to discern truth - that is why we are to STUDY (not just read) God's Word as we must have both a head and a heart understanding.  Proximity to God, corporate worship at church, and fellowship with other Christians is also important as "iron sharpens iron".  Through these spiritual disciplines and others (prayer, fasting, etc.), we can be transformed by God through the renewing of the mind and better able to live as God intends for us (Romans 12:2).

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who helps me discern truth - thank You Jesus.  I need truth - I need you - desperately.  I am broken and I sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.