Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Then King Zedekiah sent for him and had him brought to the palace, where he asked him privately, “Is there any word from the Lord?”

Jeremiah 37

Then King Zedekiah sent for him and had him brought to the palace, where he asked him privately, “Is there any word from the Lord?” v17

We know from elsewhere in the Bible (2 Chronicles 36, Jeremiah 52) that Zedekiah did not do what is right in the eyes of the Lord:

He did evil in the eyes of the Lord his God and did not humble himself before Jeremiah the prophet, who spoke the word of the Lord. He also rebelled against King Nebuchadnezzar, who had made him take an oath in God’s name. He became stiff-necked and hardened his heart and would not turn to the Lord, the God of Israel. Furthermore, all the leaders of the priests and the people became more and more unfaithful, following all the detestable practices of the nations and defiling the temple of the Lord, which he had consecrated in Jerusalem. 2 Chronicles 36:12-14

Yet, at the same time we see Zedekiah inquiring about the Lord's will from Jeremiah - there can be no other explanation than Zedekiah was misusing the name of the Lord.  

We all rebel against God at various times and points in our life, including any time in our life when we we are not believers.  We have a God - in Jesus Christ - who want us back and who welcomes our return to Him.  While we are not immune to any punishment for our sins, either during our time on earth or at our judgement day, we can return to Him and He can redeem our lives for something new.  This is true even for those who feel like they are the worst of the worst.

Think of the Prodigal Son, Paul (Acts 7:58-8:3, Acts 9), Franklin Graham and Chuck Colson to name just a few examples. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is always there to welcome me back - no matter what I have done.  Thank You Jesus for so much grace!  I am not worth such love.  I miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.