Saturday, December 26, 2020

After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

1 Corinthians 15-16 and Acts 19-20

After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born. 1 Corinthians 15:6-8

Day 335 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this afternoon the focus is on chapters 15-16 of Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth with additional historical context of Paul's final days in Ephesus as documented in the book of Acts chapters 19-20. The primary message of today's scriptures focus on the resurrection and how it is central to our faith. Paul sums it up nicely when he says: 

And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 1 Corinthians 15:14

DesiringGod.com includes an excellent guest post by Matt Perman that documents the case for the resurrection, and given the central nature of the resurrection for believers, it is worth a read.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are the Risen God and You have defeated both sin and death and I am grateful!  Yet I am undeserving.  My sin, including gossip, worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.