Sunday, December 6, 2020

Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved human praise more than praise from God.

Matthew 26, Mark 14, Luke 21-22, and John 12

Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved human praise more than praise from God. John 12:42-43

Day 315 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday of Jesus final week of His ministry before His death on the cross. My commentary* devotes a decent amount of effort to posit that the Last Supper takes place on Weds evening, using the Jewish definition of sunset as the beginning of the day as a key element of the argument.  Regardless of where one falls with the timing of the Last Supper we see also Judas Iscariot's betrayal scheme fall into place as well with today's scripture reading.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

My commentary* also notes once again how most do not fully grasp who Jesus is and what is about to unfold.  We also see how some believed and some did not (John 12) and how scripture (John 12) references Isaiah 6:10) prophecies such disbelief.  In this context it is unremarkable how of the Jewish leaders believed in Jesus but failed to place their faith Him, fearing backlash.

Praise of others is a powerful and potentially intoxicating force - on its face it is not bad but it can be an idol as we see here how fear of man is greater than fear of God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and worth of not just my praise, but also my fear - and I know that fear of You serves to help preserve me and keep me from sinning.  I need this preservative.  I am grateful for how You protect me but I am both undeserving and sinful anyway.  Please forgive me for my worry and other sins.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.