Wednesday, December 30, 2020

“There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”

Romans 1-3:20

“There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.” Romans 3:11, Psalms 14:1-3, 53:1-3, Ecclesiastes 7:20

Day 339 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this afternoon the focus is the first 3 chapters of Paul's letter to the believers in Rome. My commentary* outlines the book of Romans as first Paul’s understanding of the gospel, followed by a contrast to the Law of Moses, then it concludes with various practical teachings.  “The theme of Paul’s letter is that those who are righteous through faith will be those who truly live. Paul begins by examining the judgment of God and the righteousness of God. Under God’s judgment, even the man who thinks himself “righteous” is a sinner without excuse. Under God’s righteousness, even the “sinful” man is justified and reconciled to God through grace. Paul then shows how, through Christ, there is freedom from judgment, sin, the law, and even death. Next, Paul discusses the unique problem faced by certain Jews who are having difficulty believing that the God of the Jews could possibly include the Gentiles in his promises made to Abraham. After laying a deep theological foundation, Paul concludes the letter with practical applications for transforming one’s life to Christian service, and for regulating one’s conduct in relation to his fellowman, to civil government, and to those brothers and sisters in Christ who may be spiritually weak. The thrust of the letter is the superiority of obedient faith over futile attempts to earn salvation through strict law-keeping. Grace is not seen as a substitute for law, but rather as a higher motivation to obey God’s laws.”

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

My focus for today’s reading is on the contrast between the gospel and the Law of Moses, which focuses on external behavior vs heartcondition and an acknowledgement that all sin.  Humility (one of most oft discussed themes in the Bible) once again comes to the fore. I am utterly dependent on God as apart from I am and can do good things.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in my and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of love for me. I am humbled by Your love for me – knowing that You know everything about me but You still love me and You loved me first.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I often fail to place You first.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.