Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

John 15-17

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

Day 317 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on what my commentary* refers to as The Final Discourse "with His chosen disciples...."Each word Jesus speaks reflects the burden which he feels in leaving these men to finish the work which he has begun. Jesus encourages them in their faith and promises that in his name they will perform great works. Again he calls them to mutual love in order to withstand the inevitable persecution which awaits them. Explaining the necessity of his going away, Jesus promises that they will not be left wholly on their own. Jesus reassures them that the Holy Spirit will be with them and will guide them in their mission....[Jesus also] prays for the 11 disciples, and finally for all his disciples, that they might love one another and thereby be a continuing witness to the world."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

In this morning's scripture, Jesus begins with a discussion (John 15) of how it is important to "remain in Him" as "He is the Vine and [believers] are the branches" and God made us to bear fruit and to glorify Him. He warns us about persecution and how believers are not of this world (instead we are citizens of Heaven).  He encourages (John 16) us by letting us know that He will leave us with the Holy Spirit. He (John 17) then prays for the disciples and for all believers.

For anyone in a position of leadership that seeks to grow disciples to stand firm in their own faith, this is a powerful message.  As a Father, I think also of Solomon's words deposited into his children:

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6

This is certainly my prayer for Zach and Dustin.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave me faith the Holy Spirit so that I could understand The Word and have You with me always to guide me and so much more.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of all the ways You bless me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.