Thursday, December 3, 2020

Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.”

 John 12, Matthew 21, Mark 11, Luke 19

Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going. Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” John 12:35-36

Day 312 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on the final week of Jesus' life and ministry, starting with Palm Sunday (Jesus enters Jerusalem on a donkey) through Monday of this final week where scripture for this morning ends. My commentary* indicates how Jesus enters Jerusalem on Passover which celebrates how blood on the Israelite doors in Egypt spared those inside from a plague brought from God to the Egyptian first born. "As the perfect Lamb of God, Jesus himself is about to be slain for the salvation of all who would recognize and accept the power in his blood....Jesus knows, however, that most of [the disciples] still do not understand the true nature of his messiah-ship and deity, and that there are many more who still do not believe in him at all. As Jesus is now given the greatest welcome of his ministry, his enemies fear his popularity and let him have his day of glory."  As those who oppose Jesus plot the appropriate time to capture Him, Jesus continues to teach, with particular attention on what is about to happen and why.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Just as Jesus is about to leave Jerusalem on that Monday of the final week, He calls on believers to focus on what is to happen with His death and they should believe and walk in the light.  The world is full of darkness indeed, and Jesus is the light.  I am reminded of how God is light and His words from Psalms and Luke:

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. Psalm 119:105

“No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are healthy, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are unhealthy, your body also is full of darkness. See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness. Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be just as full of light as when a lamp shines its light on you.” Luke 11:33-36

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me and who is light - without You I would be lost and in darkness, and condemned.  Thank You Jesus for giving me light.  I am not deserving of Your love and the light You are and provide.  My sin is great - including a focus on my own comfort and desires above You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.