Monday, December 28, 2020

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

2 Corinthians 4-9

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthians 4:16

Day 337 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this afternoon the focus is Paul's second letter to the church in Corinth; given how much ground is covered in my commentary* (chapters 1-9), I broke the reading into two days, yesterday starting with chapters 1-3 and today with chapters 4-9. 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.  

Yesterday, I started a post with comments on how we as believers may feel impatient with the process of sanctification and how a hunger and thirst for righteousness serves to carry us through this impatience as we learn to love the process itself, regardless of how long or slow it may be.  Today I read an awesome post by John Piper on why God sanctifies us slowly.  Piper essentially says that God does this because "f[i] God didn’t do it this way, [we]’d get uppity about it. [we]’d think [we] had it made. [We]’d think [o]ur strength was coming from [ourselves]".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me bread daily - physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc. - all of it!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for how You provide for me.  I put earthly concerns, selfish concerns ahead of You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.