Sunday, December 13, 2020

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Acts 1-2

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. You make known to me the path of life;  you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:8-11

Day 322 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on God's sending of the Holy Spirit, as promised, to the Twelve.  My commentary* notes "[t]his occasion heralds not only the special power of the Holy Spirit in the ministry of the apostles, but also the formal beginning of Christ’s spiritual body, the church."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Luke's account of this occasion records Peter's words to those present with the Apostles. Peter explains how all of what has happened was a fulfillment of prophecies as recorded by many in the Old Testament, including Joel and David. Peter specifically uses David's words (Psalm 16:8-11) as a means to encourage and stir up passion and joy for Jesus - The Promised Messiah. Acts 2:42-47 are some of my favorite verses in all the Bible as these verses portray the early start of the church and give us a powerful example of "The Fellowship of Believers". 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and You have sent me the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, and I know this gives me power - the same power that raised Jesus from the dead.  You give this to me to work in me and through me for Your glory.  I am grateful that You give me freedom from sin and death and I am prayer that I be who You intend for me.  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin, including gossip, worry, etc. continues.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.