Wednesday, December 16, 2020

But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.

Acts 8-9

But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. Genesis 50:19-21

Day 325 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on early persecution of the church and its followers, and how one of its persecutors - Paul - is confronted by Jesus Himself, and converted into a follower of Jesus.  My commentary* notes: "[i]t is no surprise that the growing church encounters opposition. Some people are annoyed by the efforts being made to teach them; others are enraged when presented with the truth of Christ. Many are apparently jealous of the joyous fellowship which can be seen among the disciples. There are also rulers and religious leaders who fear loss of power or influence as so many people turn to follow the teaching of the Man from Nazareth. So it is not surprising that the apostles have been put into prison so often, or that Stephen has now been killed."

"Yet the early Christians are probably caught by surprise when a more widespread, organized persecution arises. Reacting swiftly, these new converts leave Jerusalem and flee to cities throughout Judea and Samaria. Yet despite the personal tragedies involved, their persecution actually becomes a blessing. Because of their zeal in sharing the gospel with others, the church thereby expands its boundaries far beyond Jerusalem."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

The scripture reading this morning also includes, as an example of how persecution scattered the church and in a way became a blessing, Philip's baptism of the Ethopian in Samaria.  The primary example, however for how such persecution became a blessing (and part of God's plan) to the church, is Saul's (who then becomes Paul) conversion.  My commentary indicates: "[b]ut Saul is destined to become a special apostle for the Lord, and that necessitates his ability to testify to the resurrection of Jesus. Therefore Saul’s conversion involves a personal appearance by Jesus himself."

This can be as difficult a learning for a believer as one might face, but we must see how challenging and difficult circumstances are part of God's plans and how God is using such challenges and circumstances for His glory and either our good or the good of the church.  I am reminded of Joseph's story.  His brothers threw him into a pit and sold him into slavery but Joseph became powerful and blessed many people as a result.  Joseph does not seek revenge when he confronts his brothers many years later.  Of course, we also have Jesus' death on the cross.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me even when I could not see it, including through many challenges and difficult circumstances - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessings.  My sins, including gossip, worry, harsh words and actions towards others, etc.  continue.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.