Tuesday, December 22, 2020

For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

2 Thessalonians 1-3, Acts 18-19

For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” 2 Thessalonians 3:7-10

Day 331 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on Paul's second letter to the church in Thessalonica and his third missionary journey. My commentary notes how Paul's first letter to Thessalonica causes some confusion that the second coming of Jesus is to occur right away, so "Paul sends a second letter to clarify this misunderstanding."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

As is the case with much of scripture, there are many passages where one can focus, but today my focus is a follow up on yesterday's post where Paul warns believers in Thessalonica to avoid idleness and instead to be a light.  I am also struck by Priscilla and Aquila's discipleship of Apollos in Ephesus.

Meanwhile a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was a learned man, with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord, and he spoke with great fervor and taught about Jesus accurately, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they invited him to their home and explained to him the way of God more adequately.

When Apollos wanted to go to Achaia, the brothers and sisters encouraged him and wrote to the disciples there to welcome him. When he arrived, he was a great help to those who by grace had believed. For he vigorously refuted his Jewish opponents in public debate, proving from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Messiah. Acts 18:24-28

We all need to ensure that we have an accurate understanding of scripture.  I have referred to this in many posts as head understanding.  We must also have a heart understanding which is what is God saying to me personally and how am I to apply what I understand.  Both are critical and work together.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me scripture and helps me with understanding - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You love me and bless me.  My sin continues, including worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You and help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.