Friday, December 4, 2020

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Matthew 21-23, Mark 11-12, Luke 20-21

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.” Mark 12:43-44, Luke 21:1-4

Day 313 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on the final week of Jesus' life and ministry, and in particular Tuesday morning of that week.  My commentary* notes the opposition from both the Pharisees and Sadducees and Jesus' response.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

The Pharisees and Sadducees looked for ways to trap Jesus by questioning Him to see if He might commit some form of blasphemy against God but Jesus responded confidently to all of the questions with Truth and scripture indicates that at one point no one "dared to ask Jesus any more questions" (Matthew 22:46, Mark 12:34, Luke 20:40).  Jesus then pivots to the hypocrisy of those questioning Jesus, encouraging us to focus on what is important (Most important commandment), to place Jesus first (humility), and to have faith by surrendering our lives to Jesus, using the poor widower's giving as an example.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave everything to save me, knowing everything about me, including my sin.  Thank You Jesus - the greatest gift of all time.  I am not deserving of such love and such a gift.  I worry, and I often fail to fully surrender to You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.