Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him:remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly.

Matthew 26-27, Mark 14-15, and Luke 22, John 18

Peter replied, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him:remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly. Luke 22:60-62

Day 318 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on Jesus praying in the Gethsemane, Judas' betrayal and arrest, Jesus' trial before the Sanhedrin, and Judas' suicide. Particularly striking in the scripture reading today is the anguish Jesus feels as He knows his death is imminent and He asks God "if you are willing, take this cup from me".  Luke 22:43 records how an angel appeared to Jesus and strengthened Him.  Jesus is also full of grace for the disciples as they fall asleep three times although He requests they "keep watch".  He requests in John 18:8 that His captors not arrest them. 

The most striking this morning, however is how only Luke's account includes how "[t]he Lord turned and looked straight at Peter....Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him..." Matthew and Mark's accounts describe how Peter remembered how Jesus foretold of how he would deny Jesus, but only Luke's account does so in vivid detail with Jesus looking "straight at Peter".  Different versions of Luke 22 also include this detail, including the KJV, and NLT

I am reminded of how study and reflection on scripture reveals sin in our lives.

What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” Romans 7:7

All believers seek to become more like God and this transformation occurs as we draw close to Him in prayer, Bible study and reflection, obedience, acts of faith/service, etc. (spiritual disciplines).  That is my hope for myself and my family and I do see Jesus at work in my heart and life - more work has yet to be done but He IS at work.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has transformed my heart and life - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues...including worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.