Sunday, December 27, 2020

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

2 Corinthians 1-3

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6

Day 336 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this afternoon the focus is Paul's second letter to the church in Corinth; given how much ground is covered in my commentary* (chapters 1-9), I broke the reading into two days starting with chapters 1-3.  For the entire letter (13 chapters), my commentary* focuses on Paul's sense of "fulfillment in his ministry" and in the church in Corinth personally. 

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

In the early part of this letter, we see an unfolding focus on Paul's defense of his ministry. Towards the end of chapter 3 we see Paul focusing on the source of his boldness and he introduces the process of sanctification.  Many of us, myself included, often find ourselves impatient as God transforms our hearts and lives into more of His likeness.   Thus faith (trust in Christ) and sanctification go hand in hand as it may feel as if we are watching paint dry.  For myself, I believe that "hunger and thirst for righteousness" plays a key role here also because when we wait for God to transform us and He does so slowly, we should at least enjoy the process - that is spending time with God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has transformed my heart and life and helped me grow in my hunger and thirst for righteousness.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  I fail often to make You first in my life.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.