Monday, December 14, 2020

When they heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God....Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.

Acts 3-6

 When they heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God....Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus. Acts 4:24, 29-30

Day 323 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on rapid growth of the church, opposition from the Jewish leaders, the Apostles response to such opposition, and initial problems within the early church.  My commentary* notes: "[b]ut persecution from without is not the only challenge facing the early church. Problems arise even within the church itself. Luke records, for example, that on one occasion some rather drastic discipline befalls a husband and wife who lie about a contribution they are making to the church. But not even such weaknesses of individual believers can slow the pace of this revolutionary spiritual movement. Not less than a dozen times throughout the historical record, Luke carefully notes the incredible growth of the church. Acting without formal organization and prompted only by their commitment to Christ, these early Christians repeatedly multiply their number by sharing the good news of Christ with all who will listen."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition.

Scripture indicates twice how Peter and others are "filled with the Holy Spirit" and "power" (Acts 4:8, 31, 33, 6:8). Just as my commentary* notes Luke's emphasis on rapid growth of the church, one must note how all believers have the "same power that raised Jesus from the dead". This power gives us an undeniable urge to share and serve Jesus - just as it did the early church.

As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard. Acts 4:20

With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. Acts 4:33

We must obey God rather than human beings! Acts 5:29

Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah. Acts 5:42

So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith. Acts 6:7

Of note this morning is how the disciples prayed for boldness.  This is a call to action for all believers - to pray for boldness.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has created the heavens and the earth and You have worked many miracles in my life - I am blessed beyond what I deserve!  Thank You Jesus!  But, again, I am not deserving.  My sin, including, worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me be bold in prayer and action!  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.