Wednesday, April 14, 2021

All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful toward those who keep the demands of his covenant. For the sake of your name, Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great.

Chapter 30: Pages 424-435, 1 Samuel 2, and 2 Samuel 12

All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful toward those who keep the demands of his covenant. For the sake of your name, Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great. Psalm 25:10-11

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter thirty "Broken Families".

Here, Piper continues to explore God's providence over sin, and specifically in this chapter he looks a broken families and how God reigns decisively over sin in the lives of priests and kings AND how this is an encouragement for believers where we perhaps struggle with sin and tragedy in our families.  Piper starts by saying "while family-governing providence is sobering (as it all ultimate reality), nevertheless it gives far more hope than the thought of Satan, sinful man, or mindless fate having the upper hand."

Piper uses as his two key examples here the stories of Eli's wicked sons (Hophni and Phineas) from 1 Samuel 2:22-25 and Absalom's rebellion against his father from 2 Samuel 12:9-12 to demonstrate God's providence over sin in these two families.

  • Now Eli, who was very old, heard about everything his sons were doing to all Israel and how they slept with the women who served at the entrance to the tent of meeting. So he said to them, “Why do you do such things? I hear from all the people about these wicked deeds of yours. No, my sons; the report I hear spreading among the Lord’s people is not good. If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the Lord, who will intercede for them?” His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke, for it was the Lord’s will to put them to death. 1 Samuel 22:25
  • Why did you despise the word of the Lord by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’ “This is what the Lord says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight. You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’” 

Shimei's cursing of David (2 Samuel 16:11-12) is also used in the context of Absalom's rebellion to demonstrate God's providence over sin.

Finally, Piper wants us again to be encouraged by God's hand and providence over sin - even if this includes broken families or other challenges. Piper points to Psalm 25:10-11 as David sees God's providence as perfect and good.  Piper leaves with the thought that "even in the midst of God heavy and severe and painful providence that came to him and his family, David believed that God was loving and faithful to him[.]...[o]n this side of the cross of Christ, such confidence is also how Christians endure the unremitting hardships and sorrows of life."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I am greatly encouraged that Your hand and providence is upon me versus that of Satan or of some blind fate - I know who I am in You, that You are always with me, that You will never leave or forsake me and that You are saving a place for me in Heaven - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and salvation.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept to You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.