Thursday, April 22, 2021

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Chapter 38: Pages 543-554

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) with Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 8 "Providence Over Christian Living" - moving to chapter thirty-eight "Forgiveness, Justification, and Obedience".

Here, Piper begins (continues through chapter 43) to explore "God's saving providence between conversion and eternal glory." Piper wants us to understand "what [God] command[s] from us and commits to do for us so that we will have vigilance and confidence for every hazard." He then moves on to state that "[t]he provision of God's providence for our perseverance does not begin with the commandments to persevere, or with God's power to help us."  Forgiveness, justification (Christ's perfect righteousness counted as ours) and and obedience are all preceded by both Christ's death (once for all) and resurrection and our conversion. Piper uses Romans 3:28, 4:5, 5:1, and Galatians 2:16, 3:8) to clarify that although justification occurs "the moment we believe...[t]he obedience of Christ, the basis for our justification, was completed once for all before we existed (Romans 5:19)." 

As a lead in to the next five chapters, Piper sums it up by stating that "forgiveness and justification are indispensable starting points for the Christian life. And they form the ongoing foundation of every act of Christian obedience."  We are encouraged to avoid chasing acceptance but instead charged to see that we have already been justified through Christ's blood and our conversion.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who both forgives and justifies me through Your death on the cross - thank You!  I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time. My sin is great and it will continue until I die - including my sin today.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.