Saturday, April 24, 2021

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

Chapter 40: Pages 573-584, Romans 8:28-39

He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Romans 8:32

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) with Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 8 "Providence Over Christian Living" - moving to chapter forty "Those Whom He Called, He Also Glorified".

Here, Piper continues his focus on how God's providence preserves us to the end.  He uses Romans 8:28-39 as the "clearest and fullest promise that God will give us all we need and infallibly bring us to glory."  He makes the bold claim that "this is the greatest section of the greatest chapter in the greatest book in the world....[and that 8:32 specifically] may be the most important verse in the Bible."

Piper provides additional scriptural examples that demonstrate how God preserves us until the end:

Piper ends the chapter with an emphatic set of statements that "[y]our being kept for a joyful meeting with God has been promised.  God is faithful.  He will do it.  But that is not all.  He not only promised it; he purchased it."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for preserving me until the end when I will see You face to face - this provides great comfort, confidence, hope and joy!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from it towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.