Monday, April 5, 2021

And when they heard it, they lifted their voices together to God and said, “Sovereign Lord, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and everything in them, who through the mouth of our father David, your servant, said by the Holy Spirit,“‘Why did the Gentiles rage, and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers were gathered together, against the Lord and against his Anointed’-for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.

Chapter 21: Pages 279-295, Acts 4

And when they heard it, they lifted their voices together to God and said, “Sovereign Lord, who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and everything in them, who through the mouth of our father David, your servant, said by the Holy Spirit,“‘Why did the Gentiles rage, and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers were gathered together, against the Lord and against his Anointed’-for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place. Acts 4:24-28 (ESV)

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 4 "Providence Over Kings and Nations" - moving to chapter twenty-one "Human Kingship and the King of Kings". 

Here, Piper builds on Chapter 20 and his use of Daniel 4-5 to provide a wealth of scriptural examples that demonstrate God's providence through human kingship. He details four truths how this occurs:

  1. The Most High Rules the Kingdom of Men (Daniel 4:17, 25, 32)
  2. All Earth's Inhabitants Are Accounted as Nothing (Daniel 4:35)
  3. He Does According to His Will in Heaven and On Earth, and None Can Stay His Hand (Daniel 4:35)
  4. The Breath and Ways of the King Are in the the Hand of God (Daniel 5:23)

The greatest takeaway of course is that "[w]ithout God's providence over wicked authorities, there would be no gospel. The murder of the Son of God is pivotal in providing our salvation.  Christ did not die randomly.  It was planned. His death was a God-orchestrated travesty of justice that his enemies hoped would get rid of his influence."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who sent His Son to die IN MY PLACE!  The greatest gift of all time.  Thank You!  Yet, I am completely undeserving of such love and such a sacrifice. I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and the community.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.