Monday, April 12, 2021

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Chapter 28: Pages 398-405, Genesis 50

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. Genesis 50:20

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter twenty-eight "Joseph".

In this and the following five chapters, Piper provides six "striking instances" where God has "explicitly" governed or "brought to pass" sin.  Here in chapter twenty-eight, Piper explores in more detail the well known story of Joseph and how God's providence over sin is clearly demonstrated. Piper refers to Genesis 50:20 is "one of the most important statements on the providence of God in all the Bible." But even before these words are spoken, Piper points to earlier statements made by Joseph that demonstrate God's providence. In Genesis 45, when Joseph is first reunited with his brothers after twenty-two years, and he reveals his identity to them, he shares how God sent him (not his brothers):

  • And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. Genesis 45:5
  • But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance. Genesis 45:7 
  • So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt. Genesis 45:8 

In Genesis 50, Piper shows us how the exact same Hebrew word is used to describe how Joseph's brothers "intended" evil/harm, and God "intended" good (for His purposes). Piper encourages us to avoid getting lost in how God does this as only God knows.  Instead, we are encouraged to see how Joseph's brothers sinful act "set in motion an astonishing sequence of events [designed and orchestrated by God] that would lead to their own deliverance from famine."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is so full of compassion and mercy for me - I am clear how You have designed and orchestrated events in my life for my good and Your purpose.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for how You love me.  I worry and have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.