Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Lord says, “I will make you wise and show you where to go. I will guide you and watch over you. So don’t be like a horse or donkey, that doesn’t understand.

Chapter 22: Pages 296-316, Daniel 4:28:-37

The Lord says, “I will make you wise and show you where to go. I will guide you and watch over you. So don’t be like a horse or donkey, that doesn’t understand. Psalm 32:8-9

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 4 "Providence Over Kings and Nations" - moving to chapter twenty-two "To Know and Rejoice That the Most High Rules". 

Here, Piper continues from chapter twenty-one with the nine aspects of providence over kings and nations - focusing on the remaining five:

  1. The most high gives the kingdom to whom he will, even to the lowest (Daniel 4:17)
  2. Those who walk in pride he is able to humble (Daniel 4:37)
  3. All his works are right, and his ways are just (Daniel 4:37)
  4. God aims that the world know and rejoice that he rules in all these ways (Daniel 4:17)
  5. God aims for us to know that when we fail to submit to and rejoice in Gods kingship, we are acting like animals, not humans (Daniel 4:32-33, 5:21)  

Nebuchadnezzar's humiliation and restoration (Daniel 4:28-37) are core to Piper in this chapter as he points out that "the point of [Nebuchadnezzar's] humiliation is to help us not follow the same course. God is warning us not to become beast-like in failing to use our distinctively human powers to know God-particularly, in this case, to know the true meaning of the providence of God.  This story is not just about providence and pride but also about providence and dehumanization." 

Earlier in the chapter, Piper states that "pride is the height of treason and the end of human happiness.  It is opposition to the ultimate purpose of providence."  He points to a "suicidal irony" where "God aims to expose, namely, that self-exaltation is, in fact, dehumanization....The irony is that human autonomy feels like we have gained significance, when in fact we have lost sanity.  Freedom from God feels exhilarating. But it's the exhilaration of skydiving without a parachute.  Apart from the Holy Spirit, all humans fall for this lie....In the end beastly men do not treat other humans well.  I do not claim that those who have right ideas about providence always treat others the way they should.  But I do claim that those who are not humbled by the providence of God, and who do not embrace their true God-exalting humanity, will never be able to pursue anyone's eternal good-their greatest good."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I see Your providence and I know my purpose is to praise the glory of it all - and it is amazing.  I am not deserving of how You reign and how You are so full of compassion and mercy to save me and love me as You do.  Thank You Jesus.  But again I am not deserving - I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.