Thursday, April 8, 2021

The life of every creature and the breath of all people are in God’s hand.

Chapter 24: Pages 333-347

The life of every creature and the breath of all people are in God’s hand. Job 12:10

This afternoon, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 5 "Providence Over Life and Death" - moving to chapter twenty-four "The Lord Has Taken Away; Blessed Be the Name of the Lord".

In the previous chapter, Piper explore primarily God's providence over birth and in this chapter, he explores God's providence over all life and death, stating right away that although "physical and satanic causes of death are real.  But they are not ultimate or decisive [God is however]."  

Using the Declaration of Independence as an example, Piper makes a distinction between rights to life in relation to other people and those in relation to God.  Piper writes that, Biblically, we don't an "unalienable" right to life.  We do have one in relation to other humans who are not allowed to take our life (as directed by God by the way in Exodus 20:13).  But we DON'T have such a right in relation to God as "God has absolute rights over our lives.  He gives and takes life according to the principle Jesus laid down in Matthew 20:15[.]" See also Job 41:11, Psalm 24:1, Acts 17:25, Ecclesiastes 12:7, Isaiah 57:16, Zechariah 12:1, and Job 12:10, 33:4.  Piper sums it up: "[t]herefore, since life belongs to God, and we have it only as a stewardship to be used while he pleases for his glory, God may take it at any time and in any way he pleases, as he acts in the fullness of his wisdom and goodness and justice."

Since the Fall (Genesis 2-3), when death entered the world, according to Piper, "every human being is under the condemnation of death." Piper uses several significant judgements, including the Great Flood (Genesis 6), the firstborn taken in the Passover (Exodus 11-12), Israel's defeat of the Canaanite nations (including 185,000 Assyrians in a single blow), and not alarmingly given the depth of Israel's sin - Israelites themselves, to show death is the result of God's judgement and His purposes.  We are reminded that even the sinful actions of Pilate and Herod (Acts 4:27:28) are an example of how God uses the sinful actions of humans to accomplish His good purposes.   

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know You both created my life and hold it in Your hands - I am deserving of death due to my sins, yet You are full of mercy and compassion that knows no bounds.  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I know I am undeserving.  I focus on my self and neglect Your praise and glory!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.