Friday, April 16, 2021

Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?

Chapter 32: Pages 448-466, Lamentations 3

Who can speak and have it happen if the Lord has not decreed it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come? Lamentations 3:37-38

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) with Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter thirty-two "Though He Cause Grief, He Will Have Compassion".

Here, Piper explores God's providence over suffering, including how He orchestrates evil.  He looks at Israel's time in captivity in the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple, and uses Isaiah 45:1-7 to remind us that God holds "absolute sway over good and evil is part of what it means to be God.....The God of Israel is behind everything....[God] is not just...manager, but [He]...decides (like a creator) all that is there to manage."  Amos 3:2,6 is another example provided by Piper.   Here, God orchestrates "thousands of human decisions which are in the sway of God's providence, accomplishing his purposes of just punishment."

Most strikingly, Piper uses Jeremiah and his authorship of Lamentations - specifically Lamentations 3 - to demonstrate his sway over evil. 

Piper points us to hope in the amidst of punishment and suffering - using Lamentations 3:19-26:

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.” The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:19-26

Piper points us to this hope to see how "every morning, during the worst of horrors God's mercies are newly present." He also points us to Paul (2 Corinthians 1:8-9) to ensure we rely not on ourselves but on God.

He wraps up the chapter by leaving us with Lamentations 3:31-33 to ensure we know that "God's steadfast love will have the last word....some of God's acts are means to the ends that are ultimately aimed at and more heartily desired as the final end. The means affliction and grief are exactly what God wills for that time and situation. They are perfect as means.  And, as perfect, they are perfectly approved by God's perfect mind." 

For no one is cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone. Lamentations 3:31-33

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, I know Your ways and perfect, including Your sovereignty over evil and suffering that is present in my life.  I know You love me. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for the love and mercy You pour out for me.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.