Friday, April 30, 2021

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.

Conclusion: Pages 650-669

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

This morning, I completed John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) after reading the conclusion. Here Piper recaps the extent of providence: "God's eternal plan includes everything-from the most insignificant bird (Matt 10:29), to the movement of stars (Isaiah 40:26), to the murder of his Son (Acts 4:27-28).  It includes the moral acts of every soul-its preferences, choices, and deeds. Neither Satan at his hellish worst nor human beings at their redeemed best ever act in a way that causes a revision in God's all wise plan.  Whether God planned to permit something or planned to be more directly involved, nothing comes to pass but what God planned as part of the process pursuing his ultimate goal.  Therefore, the extent of this providence is total."

Piper also shares with us "ten examples of the effects that knowing and loving this providence will have," including how "seeing and savoring this providence: 

  1. awakens awe and leads us into the depth of true God-centered, Christ-exalting, Bible-saturated worship."
  2. makes us marvel at our own salvation and humbles us because of our sin."
  3. causes us to see everything as part of God's design-everything as from him and through him and to him, for his glory."
  4. helps protect us from the trivializing effects of culture and from trifling with divine things."
  5. helps us be patient and faithful amid the most inexplicable circumstances of life."
  6. shows us that the "problem" of God's sovereignty in suffering is more than relieved by the sustaining purpose and power of his sovereignty through suffering."
  7. makes us alert and resistant to man-centered substitutes that pose as good news."
  8. makes us confident that God has the right and the power to answer prayer that people's hearts and minds would be changed."
  9. shows us that evangelism and missions are absolutely essential for people to be converted to Christ, because God makes them the means of his work in creating saving faith."
  10. assures us that for all eternity God will be increasingly glorified in us as we are increasingly satisfied in him."

While all I have experience all of these effects to a certain extent, one in particular rings true this morning - #5 and #6. As a father of a special needs child (Dustin), I prayed that God would equip me to be the man, parent, and husband needed not just by Dustin, but by my other child Zach and by my wife Lisa. God's providence has seen to it this prayer has been answered and for the praise and glory of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior!  More often than not, when I encounter challenges and trials, I know God is in control and God loves me, that He will never leave or forsake me, and that His ways are good and perfect...and that I can rest.  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your thoughts and ways are indeed unknown, but they are perfect and good.  I can rest in knowing this.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such rest and of all the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin continues...selfishness, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message today and every day.