Sunday, April 11, 2021

So what should we say about this? Is God unfair? In no way.

Chapter 27: Pages 390-395

So what should we say about this? Is God unfair? In no way. Romans 9:14

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter twenty-seven "Things We Know and Things We Do Not Need to Know".

Here Piper prepares us for chapters 28-33 where he focuses on God's providence over sin.  The key takeaway from this chapter is that God governs and has "providence over explicitly sinful choices and their effects." He writes that such "providence is all encompassing and hopeful."

We are encouraged to look for how this is so from Scripture alone and also encouraged to avoid looking to the world for answers as the world assumes that "humans (not God) must provide the final and decisive cause in the instant of decision, or else the decision cannot be justly praised or blamed.  That is, they insist on ultimate human self-determination in the act of choosing, if there is to be moral accountability."  Piper rejects such a view.

As a cornerstone to the next six chapters, Piper seeks for us to trust in the view that "God, in his infinite wisdom and goodness and holiness and justice, knows how to govern the good and evil choices of all humans without himself sinning and without turning human preferences and choices into morally irrelevant, robot-like actions."  We are also asked to avoid seeking full disclosure "how God can govern sin and not be a sinner."  We can take comfort in Paul's words that God justice is perfect. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who reigns in all matters, over life and death, and over sin - and Your justice is perfect, just as Your love, compassion and mercy are - thank You Jesus for how You reign in my life and how You are full of mercy and compassion for me.  I am undeserving.  I worry far too much - and I should not worry at all.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.