Wednesday, April 21, 2021

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.

Chapter 37: Pages 526-539

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. Ephesians 1:4

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) with Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 7 "Providence Over Conversion" - moving to chapter thirty-seven "Driven Back to the Precious Roots of Election".

Here, Piper explores the challenging subject of "election", or the extent of God's providence in conversion that looks back in time to eternity past.  He starts by ensuring we know that believers are God's "special possession", pointing to scriptural examples in Amos 3:2 and Psalm 1:6. Additional examples are provided in Matthew 22:14, 22, 31, Luke 18:7, Romans 8:33, 11:7, 1 Corinthians 1:27, Ephesians 1:4, 1 Peter 2:9, and Revelation 17:14.  Piper writes that "it is clear that [God] has chosen which dead, unresponsive "stones" are his.  And in this choosing, God does not act whimsically and without a wise plan.  Therefore, this choosing (that is election) must be part of a plan."  A more "explicit" example is found in Acts 13:48. Piper uses this example to show how the Gentiles referred to in the verse believed "because they were in the group that was ordained to believe....God's providence in seeing to it that his people believe includes his choosing them for this."

Piper than pivots to John 8 (47), 10 (26), 17 (6) - 18 (37) to show how people belong to the Father before the Father gives them to Jesus. Piper then is emphatic in his statement that "being of God can't include all humans.  So belonging to God before being given to Jesus does not include everyone." God's election of anyone is a free act of God, an "act of free grace" - no one "qualif[ies] for God's choice."

He wraps it up using not just Acts 13:48, but Ephesians 1:4 to show God's providence over conversion and how it "stretches back into eternity" - election. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who chose me to believe BEFORE the foundation of the world - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin continues daily and there is much of it...please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.