Friday, April 9, 2021

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Chapter 25: Pages 350-361

 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

This afternoon, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 5 "Providence Over Life and Death" - moving to chapter twenty-five "We Are Immortal till Our Work Is Done".

Here, Piper explores the difficult question of how believers can see God's goodness and mercy in death. Piper challenges us to ponder whether we would rather be in the hands of Satan or God upon death or martyrdom. Of course the answer is easy for believers.  Piper wants us to see that "[f]or those who belong to him, the timing and outcome of...death is mercy, not wrath."

Piper uses stories of how several missionaries endured tragic loss of loved ones but still found comfort and joy in the grace of Jesus. One such missionary expresses this feeling of comfort by saying "For [unbelievers] the pain is fundamental and the joy is superficial because it won't last.  For [believers], the pain is superficial and the joy is fundamental."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and I know that You will be with me until the end of the age and that nothing can separate me from Your love - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.