Sunday, April 4, 2021

Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes.

Chapter 20: Pages 271-279, Daniel 4-5

Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes. Daniel 4:25

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 4 "Providence Over Kings and Nations" - moving to chapter twenty "Israel's Divine King is King of the Nations". 

Here, Piper introduces the topic of God's providence in kingships and nations.  He describes the Old Testament as using Abraham and Israel to demonstrate providence through a single man and nation - Israel - yet God's intent even then was for Abraham to be "father of many nations (Romans 4:13-17)" implying that eventually, through the line of Abraham, all nations (Jews and Gentiles) would compose the church and this church would no longer focus on a single ethnic, political, or geographic nation. Therefore we are to see God's providence as connecting the Old and New Testaments. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is so full of love, compassion, mercy for me - I am undeserving.  Thank You Jesus.  Yet my sin, worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.