Thursday, April 15, 2021

He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a human being, that he should change his mind.

Chapter 31: Pages 436-446

He who is the Glory of Israel does not lie or change his mind; for he is not a human being, that he should change his mind. 1 Samuel 15:29

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter thirty-one "Deception and Dullness of Heart".

Here, Piper explores how God uses false shepherds, dullness of heart, and false prophets to accomplish His perfect will.  He provides examples (Amos 8:11, Zechariah 11:16-17, Lamentations 3:65, Isaiah 6:9-10, and 44:8) of His providence over withholding the Word, understanding the Word (Isaiah 53:1, 6:10, John 12:37-40, Matthew 11:25-26, 13:10-12, and Luke 8:9-10), and over sending a strong delusion (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12, Revelation 17:16-17).  

He works to ensure we can defend how God is able to do all of this but never lie (Titus 1:2) by demonstrating that God does all of this not as man does - see 1 Samuel 15:28-29. He summarizes this defense by stating that "God does send a lying spirit and deceive a prophet and send a delusion, but he does not do this in such a way that his divine veracity or truthfulness is compromised....[God] is guided by [His] infinite wisdom...[and]...perfect justice."

Piper wraps up the chapter by providing the ultimate example of how God does not regret, lie or deceive as man does by pointing to Judas and how the orchestration of this sin led to Jesus' death on the cross - thus providing all believers forgiveness of sins and salvation.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good in all Your ways and paths - I am grateful for how You have orchestrated all things in my life for my good and Your glory.  Thank You!  You are deserving of the glory and I am not deserving of the mercy and blessings You pour out for me.  I have many sins...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.