Tuesday, April 13, 2021

For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Chapter 29: Pages 407-422, Exodus 4, 7-8, 10, and Romans 9

For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. Romans 9:17-18

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter twenty-nine "Israel Hated, Pharaoh Hardened, God Exalted, Helpless Saved".

Here Piper explores Israel's exodus from Egypt and how Paul "elevate[s] this Old Testament event to supreme importance in our reflections on God's providence over sin." Piper decisively makes the case that it was God alone who hardened Pharaoh's heart and that God's actions were not in response to self-determination by Pharaoh. Piper uses the following scripture to make his case:

  • The Lord said to Moses, “When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go. Exodus 4:21
  • But I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and though I multiply my signs and wonders in Egypt, he will not listen to you. Exodus 7:3-4
  • Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them that you may tell your children and grandchildren how I dealt harshly with the Egyptians and how I performed my signs among them, and that you may know that I am the Lord.” Exodus 10:1-2 
  • Yet Pharaoh’s heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the Lord had said. Exodus 7:13 
  • But the Egyptian magicians did the same things by their secret arts, and Pharaoh’s heart became hard; he would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the Lord had said. Exodus 7:22
  • But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart and would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the Lord had said. Exodus 8:15 
  • But Pharaoh’s heart was hard and he would not listen, just as the Lord had said. Exodus 8:19 

Piper emphatically states that "[n]othing in man, good or bad, past, present, or foreseen, determines who is hardened and who is shown mercy." Regarding, God's ultimate providence over sin, we are once again encouraged to avoid seeking answers on how God does this but THAT He does this.  Piper also points to how this in and of itself is encouraging, pointing to how God rules over "hateful circumstances in such a way that they regularly lead to a greater deliverance than otherwise possible", pointing to other stories such as the stories of Esther and Mordecai, Haman, as well as of course the preeminent story of God's rule of the crucifixion of Christ. Piper summarizes how this provides encouragement by pointing to Romans 8:28 where God works all things together for our good. "What sustains us, when surrounded by hatred, is not our ability to explain God's providence, but the unshakable fact of God's providence.... [N]othing-absolutely nothing-can happen to us but "by God's fatherly hand." 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who reigns over all things for my good - thank You Jesus!  I know You are both with me and You love me...always.  Yet I am undeserving of such mercy and love.  I worry, am lazy, and have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.