Saturday, April 10, 2021

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.

Chapter 26: Pages 363-387, James 4

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.  James 4:13-16

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and started Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 6 "Providence Over Sin" - moving to chapter twenty-six "Natural Human Willing and Acting".

Here Piper demonstrates, using scripture, that "there is no sphere of life-no matter how ordinary or seemingly insignificant-where providence is suspended or limited in its ultimate decisive dominion." He distinguishes "natural" persons - unbelievers - from believers as not being under the influence of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 2:14) and writes that unbelievers are "acting in rebellion against God at all times and therefore are sinning in all they do (Romans 14:23)."  This latter statement is Piper's focus in this chapter.

Piper uses the following Bible examples of how God turns the hearts of:

  • Pharaoh to bless Joseph
  • Egyptians to favor the Israelites (Exodus)
  • Nebuchadnezzar to give favor and compassion to Daniel

Piper also points to how God turns hearts to dread, panic and confusion to accomplish His purposes (Deuteronomy 2:25, Joshua 10:10, Judges 7:22-25, 1 Chronicles 14:17, Ezekiel 16:37, 1 Chronicles 5:25-26, etc.).  God turns the hearts of kings Cyrus, Darius and Artaxerxes to accomplish His will in rebuilding the temple (Ezra 1:1, 5:13-16, 6:8, 6:22, 7:21-22, 7:27).

Less specific Biblical examples are also used, including Proverbs 16:7, 21:1, and Ephesians 1:11.

Most decisively, Piper uses James 4:13-16 to show how human "willing and doing are not decisive in our ordinary living.  God is.  This is pervasive providence."  This includes providence over decision making in what we do, but also over whether our decisions lead to success or failure (Proverbs 16:33, 21:31).

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of compassion and mercy for me.  You gave me faith and You help me by giving me the Holy Spirit in my life so that I can become more like You - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such compassion and mercy and for such a gift.  I am harsh with others and I worry, among my many sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.