Monday, October 17, 2022

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.]

Ephesians 2

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.] Ephesians 2:4-5

I pause my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series, to study Ephesians for 3 days per week as I participate in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. This morning, my focus is Ephesians 2, my initial observations, and scripture memorization of v4-5. As I unpack the letter (and further my understanding of it) Paul writes to the church in Ephesus, the MacArthur Bible Study Commentary (for purchase) indicates "[i]t is likely that the gospel was first brought to Ephesus by Priscilla and Aquila, an exceptionally gifted couple (see Acts 18:26) who were left there by Paul on his second missionary journey (Acts 18:18, 19)."  Additional commentary from MacArthur reinforces what Chuck Swindoll indicates, that "Paul spent the first three chapters of the letter discussing God’s creation of a holy community by His gift of grace in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ", and how "Paul divided his letter to the Ephesians into two clear segments; applying the truths of the first makes possible the actions and lifestyle of the second."  In Ephesians 2, there are two divisions: (1) how believers' salvation brings about new life in Christ (v1-10), and (2) how Christ removed all obstacles (including circumcision, works, obedience to the ceremonial law, etc.) to faith for all nations vs just Israel, and how both Gentiles and Israel are one in the eyes of God (v11-22).  Core to this chapter is v4-5, and we should meditate on these verses, be humbled by them, and rejoice in the truth of the grace we have in Christ!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who has poured out Your life so that I could be a new creation and have new life in You!  Thank You Jesus!  How humbling - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of course - my sin is great and it continues...daily, including pursuit of comfort.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.