Saturday, October 15, 2022

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor[.]

Isaiah 61-63

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor[.] Isaiah 61:1-2, Luke 4:18-19

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  My study of Isaiah moves on to day 2 (of 5) of week 22, which looks at Isaiah 61-63.  Day 2 focuses on a more detailed examination of Isaiah 61. Core to an examination of Isaiah 61 is how we see a prophecy of not just Israel's redemption from Assyria (who took northern kingdom captive during the middle of Isaiah's ministry) and Babylon (who took the southern kingdom captive well after the end of Isaiah's ministry), but also a Messianic prophecy and how Jesus Christ comes to redeem all of humanity from their sins. My study refers me to Luke 4:13-21, and urges a comparison to Isaiah 61:1-2.  This comparison reveals that in Luke 4, Jesus is early in His ministry and in Nazareth reading from the scroll of Isaiah in the synagogue.  Jesus reads everything from Isaiah 61:1-2 except how the anointed one will proclaim vengeance.  This is important because Jesus's ministry was not one that was expected in terms of a an earthly conquering king, but of a King who's mission was to defeat sin and death, and to provide hope and salvation for all of humanity, not just Israel.

It is important for us to recognize how vengeance is the Lord's - He is the judge.  This should both give us fear (in our own lives for the sin we commit) and peace (that others will face justice for the sins they commit). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is Judge - this should serve as a preservative for me to not commit sin, and as peace that all will be repaid for the sin they commit.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings.  I am not deserving of Your Justice, grace, salvation, etc. My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.