Monday, October 10, 2022

Your people shall all be righteous; they shall possess the land forever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I might be glorified. The least one shall become a clan, and the smallest one a mighty nation; I am the Lord; in its time I will hasten it.

Isaiah 58-60

Your people shall all be righteous; they shall possess the land forever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I might be glorified. The least one shall become a clan, and the smallest one a mighty nation; I am the Lord; in its time I will hasten it. Isaiah 60:21-22

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  My study of Isaiah moves on to day 5 (of 5) of week 21, which looks at Isaiah 58-60.  Day 5 encourages us to review Isaiah 58-60, to deepen our understanding, and to extract final applications from these chapters as we prepare to move on to the end of Isaiah. 

Looking back at my posts for these chapters:

  • Isaiah 58 focuses on fasting and how God seeks for us to do so wholeheartedly, not hypocritically, or as double-minded - see also Day 1 and 2 posts.
  • Isaiah 59 focuses on how God promises a Redeemer for Israel, of course this is Jesus and through Jesus we have the Holy Spirit, who arms us to battle against sin - see Day 2 and 3 posts
  • Isaiah 60 focuses on glory for Israel and the coming redeemer is a light in the darkness of the present age - see Day 4 post

This post from Chuck Swindoll helps illuminate a key application from Isaiah (including 58-60), and one that convicts me this morning - an excerpt: "In addition to its gospel message, the book of Isaiah clearly articulates the sins of God’s people—dealing with others unjustly which resulted in their offering hypocritical sacrifices to God. Do you see anything in your own life that might fall under Isaiah’s critique of injustice—treating family, colleagues, or even strangers with unkindness or even disdain? Isaiah’s message is also a call for believers to come back to purity in our love for God and for our neighbors (Luke 10:26–28)."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who pursued me and saved me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You saved me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me, and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.