Sunday, October 16, 2022

On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have set watchmen; all the day and all the night they shall never be silent. You who put the Lord in remembrance, take no rest, and give him no rest until he establishes Jerusalem and makes it a praise in the earth.

Isaiah 61-63

On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have set watchmen; all the day and all the night they shall never be silent. You who put the Lord in remembrance, take no rest, and give him no rest until he establishes Jerusalem and makes it a praise in the earth.  Isaiah 62:6-7

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  My study of Isaiah moves on to day 3 (of 5) of week 22, which looks at Isaiah 61-63.  Day 3 focuses on initial observations of Isaiah 62.  This chapter looks forward to end times when Jesus will come again and how the church must be prepared - saving as many as possible.  This commentary assists with observations and applications, including:

  • to pursue with relentless passion the work of the church; this forces believers to be holy ourselves (1 Peter 1:15) as we are "challenge[d] to be just as zealous for the holiness of other Christians, to be energetic in the work of the church"; the challenge here is "to love the Bridegroom with undivided love, to put away all idols and worldly affections."
  • leaders are challenged to "oversee the doctrinal and practical lives of the flock" and to practice "relentless intercession" on behalf of the church and others; leaders should not grow weary
  • we are encouraged to see the "missionary thrust" of this chapter as the church is called to build a path for the world to approach God as its Savior (v10)

This morning's reading has convicted me greatly as I know there is work ahead of me to ceaselessly support the work of the church.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who loves me and who never leaves or forsakes me - You give me the Holy Spirit so that I have strength to carry on with Your mission - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great - pursuit of idle comfort vs Your mission - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.