Sunday, October 23, 2022

There is no one who calls upon your name, who rouses himself to take hold of you; for you have hidden your face from us, and have made us melt in the hand of our iniquities.

Isaiah 64-66

There is no one who calls upon your name, who rouses himself to take hold of you; for you have hidden your face from us, and have made us melt in the hand of our iniquities. Isaiah 64:7

I resume my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  My study of Isaiah moves on to day 2 (of 5) of week 23, which will bring my study of Isaiah to a close as it covers Isaiah 64-66.  Day 2 focuses on a closer examination of Isaiah 64, which focuses on how God's people turned away from Him (v5-6), and how God gave the people over to their sins (v7). In v8 we see a more contrite people (see post yesterday) looking for mercy and compassion from God - for salvation. The broader context sees Israel and Jerusalem desolate, destroyed and a wasteland.  The temple burned and is in ruins.  For sure, God's people were in a dark place with their spiritual condition and posture towards God - their separation from God was self-inflicted due their sin - certainly futility without Christ. My study urges me to look closely at v7 and how God essentially gave the people over to their sin and how God does this so that we can be clear that their is no other place to turn but to God - He is the only one who can save.  My commentary refers me to Hebrews 10:20 as this text describes how Christ provides a "new and living way." We should all recognize how we all sin, are in need of savior and Christ the only way - see John 14:6. My study also looks at Isaiah 1:1, compares it with 39:8 and how love and fear of God leads to peace and security - 64:7 warns us not to toy around with sin as God will turn us over to our sin and this is a dangerous place indeed.

Comment and discuss this post

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who protects me from sin and from the wages of sin (death) - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your protection and how You provide refuge.  My sin does continue...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.