Monday, October 31, 2022

[God] raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 4

[God] raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:6-7

I resume my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I continue with Ephesians 4, focusing on v1-16. As I posted yesterday, unity within the church is a primary theme as Paul seeks to keep the church in Ephesus on mission - all working together towards the same end, which is to spread the gospel.  John Piper, digs deeper here, and writes that this text from Paul's letter to the Ephesians is urging us to participate in small groups as a core and necessary component of our church experience - we cannot simply attend church just on Sundays as God intends so much more for us as a church body. He leans heavily on v16, which starts in v15 where believers are urged to "[speak] truth in love, [and] grow up in every way into him who is the head into Christ" and then Piper uses the text to explain how God sees us "growing up."  He collapses v16 to show that God wants "the whole body" to "[make] the body grow so that it builds itself up in love."  Piper then goes on to write how "grace given to each one of us" (v7-8) enables this body to minister to itself, thereby not relying on entirely on church staff to do all the work.  Piper closes his message with this: "So what verse 16 means when it says that 'the whole body causes the growth of the body' when 'each individual part is working properly,' it means that all the members have gifts, and all of those gifts are to be used in building up the body 'in love.' And this is how Christ, the all-supplying, supernatural Head of the body, builds and cares for his church." Speaking for myself, I know that I need a small group experience as part of my church life.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gives me brothers and sisters in Christ from whom I am encouraged, supported, loved, etc. Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such blessings nor any of the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.