Wednesday, October 12, 2022

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.]

Ephesians 1

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved[.] Ephesians 2:4-5

I continue my pause of a deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series, as I alternate the Isaiah study with a study of Ephesians for 3 days per week as I participate in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. This morning, my focus is Ephesians 1 again, with a specific focus as well on v15-23. Building on my post yesterday, and leaning on this commentary from Chuck Swindoll, Paul seeks for the church  in Ephesus (and all believers who follow) to fully appreciate the spiritual blessings of the inheritance we gain as children of God (adopted by Him).  This morning the text Paul praises God for the faith of the church in Ephesus and prays for them (v16-17), and Paul, through prayer, seeks for the church in Ephesus to: fully appreciate and grasp the hope they should have and the riches of their inheritance, which he defines as the "immeasurable greatness of His power towards us who believe, according to the working of His great might" (v18-19). Paul then goes on to further elaborate on God's might "that He worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come" (v20-21).  Finally, Paul wraps the chapter by describing how God reigns over all, including the church, which is described as "his body, the fullness of him who fills in all."  Of course, again, these are words all believers should take to heart and in so doing be encouraged and act boldly (supernaturally with Christ working through us) in light this encouragement. All of this should be understood in the context of where Paul is when he writes this letter - he is in prison in Rome!  Encouragement indeed!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who adopted me as a child of God and in so doing blesses me with an incredible inheritance that cannot be taken from me. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.