Thursday, October 20, 2022

I will recount the steadfast love of the Lord, the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord has granted us, and the great goodness to the house of Israel that he has granted them according to his compassion, according to the abundance of his steadfast love.

Isaiah 61-63

I will recount the steadfast love of the Lord, the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord has granted us, and the great goodness to the house of Israel that he has granted them according to his compassion, according to the abundance of his steadfast love. Isaiah 63:7

I resume my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  My study of Isaiah moves on to day 4 (of 5) of week 22, which looks at Isaiah 61-63.  Day 4 focuses on observations of Isaiah 63.  My commentary describes the main idea of this chapter (which the commentary groups with 64:1-12 as well) as "God’s passionate response to sin, both in wrath for the nations and discipline for his people, [and how such a response] should call forth persistent and fervent prayer from God’s people."  The commentary describes how this chapter is a foretaste of end times, describes an "intercessor," and  includes the following divisions:

  • The intercessor recounts the Lord’s history of love (63:7-9). 
  • The intercessor confesses sin (63:10). 
  • The intercessor prays based on the Lord’s history (63:11-16). 
  • The intercessor laments over the Lord’s disciplines (63:17-19). 
  • The intercessor pleads for God to descend (64:1-5a).

We all sin and need a Savior, and our prayers should never cease to thank Him for His amazing grace, and for His help to become more like Him.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God whose love knows no bounds for me and whose grace is amazing indeed!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.