Saturday, October 29, 2022

I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.

Isaiah 64-66

I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress. Isaiah 65:19

This morning I completed my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series, as today marks day 5 (of 5) of week 23, which examines Isaiah 64-66.  On this final day (at least for now) of my examination of Isaiah, I start with a look back at the entirety of Isaiah, and how it presents a complete portrait of the gospel and all of redemptive history.  With this video (part 1 of 2) from Southeastern Baptist Seminary, I better understand this portrait as the speaker shares that: "the book of Isaiah tells the entire redemption story. The literary shape of this book is one story from creation to the new creation through the redemptive work that is personal and comprehensive[.]"  We see multiple cycles of sin, judgement, and redemption and renewal. Today, I also think back and reflect on Isaiah's role in prophecies that range from Judah's captivity, its redemption and renewal, the coming Messiah (Jesus), and ultimately, prophecies of the end times that will bring about a New Heaven and New Earth where all of God's saved - the remnant - will live in eternity in glorious praise of the King of Kings Jesus Christ. This New Heaven and New Earth is described in Isaiah 65-66, as well as in 2 Peter 3:13 and Revelation 21.  At the same time, Isaiah closes (Isaiah 66:24) with a description of the eternal damnation that awaits those who hearts are hardened and fail to submit to Him.  I am referred to several scripture passages that describe this eternal damnation (unquenchable fire, lake of fire), including: Mark 9:42-48, Matthew 3:11-12, 13:36-48, 18:8-9, 25:36-41, Jude 7, and Revelation 19:19-21, 20:11-15, and 21:8. While it is important to understand the fate that awaits those who spurn God, I am going to close on a hopeful note, which is part of how Isaiah depicts the New Heaven and New Earth (New Jerusalem as described in Isaiah 65:19). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father, You indeed are great and I know You are saving a place for me in Heaven - which is glorious indeed!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation, nor any blessing You pour out for me. My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.