Sunday, October 30, 2022

[God] raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 4

[God] raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:6-7

I resume my study of Ephesians via my participation in a Discipleship (D) Group that is part of my church. For this morning, I move on to Ephesians 4, which focuses on church unity.  This is a very important theme as the mission of the church (locally and globally) is of course negatively impacted by tensions, conflict, and a failure to heed to gospel-centered teaching - John Piper provides a good definition of Christian unity here. In writing to the church at Ephesus, Paul emphasizes a few themes to drive unity - these themes include how although each of us are different and our spiritual gifts are different, God knits us together as a church and body of Christ (v16). We are encouraged to build each other up, not tear one another down, and to put away "bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander...[and] all malice."  Instead we are urged to "[b]e kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace for me - thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of the grace You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.